Doctoral Project: Analysis and modelling of intelligent behavior derived from mice solving a lock box paradigm
Part of research project: Mouse Lock Box
Description of the research project
This project aims to provide an experimental proof of concept for intelligent behavior in mice, in close collaboration between behavioral biology, computer vision and computational modelling.
Description of the doctoral project
The SCIoI cluster defines intelligent behavior as adaptable, general, cost-effective, and goal-directed. The goal of this doctoral project is to experimentally analyze and combine these qualities in a stepwise manner in order to understand intelligent behavior in mice.
To this end, the project will develop computational models of mice behavior based on multiple features extracted from video footage of mice solving different tasks. The candidate will work on both aspects: the automated analysis of videos, and on the development and analysis of computational models of the resulting reduced behavioral description. The project will be performed in close interaction with experts from behavioral biology.
- Conducting experimental research in computer vision
- Analysis of video data to generate algorithms for computer vision
- Automated evaluation and computational modelling of behavior
- Interaction within the SCIoI cluster of excellence
- Compilation of the results for presentations, project reports, and publications
Project start date: October 1, 2019 (an earlier starting date may be possible)
Applicants must hold a Diploma/Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related engineering disciplines and should have proven skills/background in following topics:
- Computer vision and image analyses
- In depth programming skills (C/C++, Python)
- Laboratory experience using cameras and robotic camera platforms
- Strong interest in visual perception and machine learning
- Good computer literacy as well as a conscientious work approach, flexibility, ability to work in a team and the ability to cope with pressure are prerequisites